- The type of work that is involved for this job includes teaching and helping others to live more healthful and fulfilling lives.
- This occupation is experiencing excellent job growth, so future prospects should be very good.
- This is a good job for those who are interested in nutrition and fitness subjects or even health sciences.
- You must be a people person to work this job, as the majority of time will be spent educating people.
- Often health educators need to be persistent and patient with their message, as many of those who are being educated don’t wish to listen until they have health problems.
- Although this can be learned, public speaking ability is important for this career. You must be comfortable being the center of attention while speaking.
Health educators spend their time advocating a healthy lifestyle. They do this in a variety of ways, mostly because they have many different demographics that they must educate to. Regardless of whom they are directing their message to, health educators’ primary goals are to make sure that people are aware of the preventive health measures that they can take in order to lead healthier lives and in turn help reduce health care costs by preventing major health issues before they start.
There are many subjects that health educators try to talk about, which can include alcohol, smoking cessation and sexual health. One of the first things that a health educator will do when they plan on providing an educational program for people is to properly assess the audience. The type of people that a health educator will work with is very important in order to get across the correct health message. For example, women have different health issues that need to be addressed, as well as teenagers have very different health needs compared to older generations.
The way that a health educator gets their message across may vary. They usually spend time lecturing, but they can also get their audience involved in group learning activities or create promotional materials complete with pictures and graphs to further solidify their education stance. There are a wide array of workplaces where health educators can be found. They will be seen working in educational settings, for corporations and community health centers.
Becoming a health educator usually takes more education than most people think. This is because workers in this occupation must be educated on a multitude of health topics in order for them to be properly considered as experts in health education. Because of this, although the minimum requirement to gain employment in this type of work is only a bachelor’s in health education, more often than not a master’s degree is required. The certification in this industry, the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) is an optional credential.
The prospects in this field are expected to be good. More often than not experts have realized that preventive measures are the best method to stay healthy. While technological progress have allowed for newer medical techniques, the reality is that being aware of what is good for you and being able to keep up to date with the latest health trends is important. Because of this, the demand for health educators is very high and will continue to be in the future.
One of the incentives to becoming a health educator is that most employers will sponsor continuing education for those in this type of work. Therefore, those who have attained a high-level degree and continue to pursue their educational pursuits can advance and do quite well. It also helps to be able to remember a lot of facts and figures, to be able to conduct public speaking engagements and show leadership qualities.